Principal Environment Artist
Cold Iron Studios
San Jose, CA
- Applicants without a portfolio will not be considered.
Cold Iron is seeking an experienced Principal Environment Artist to join our world class team working on a new PC and console shooter based on the Alien franchise! Do you excel at building props and spaces that are as pleasing to look at as they are to play with? Are you a passionate game developer looking to create the best experiences possible? Join our creative, collaborative studio where you will help craft visually inspiring worlds and awesome gameplay environments.
Here’s the most important one: Do you do it all for the game? Because you know that your talents are needed to make sure that even the best development teams get an awesome experience out the door?
Awesome. Come join our creative, collaborative studio where you’ll own the product management responsibilities for a tight, integrated team of game developers.
Your Day to Day
You can expect to be responsible and accountable for the following:
- Lead a team in translating concept art and design ideas into 3D gameplay worlds
- Create props, architecture, and terrain models, textures, and materials
- Collaborate with the team to design and layout gameplay spaces
- Layout levels from whitebox through final set dressing and lighting
- Help drive the art vision for the game
- Assist in establishing pipelines for the best results in a given amount of time
- Help set and maintain the high quality bar for the game
- Assist in scoping work for on time milestone deliveries
- Guide and mentor other team members
Your Career Progression
Do the best work of your career! No, really, that’s what we expect of you. Come aboard and work with industry veterans all working to improve their craft and become better game developers. Your portfolio of experience will grow, and the size of the audience you reach will expand exponentially. The small team atmosphere allows you to contribute more and have greater ownership over what you do day to day.
- Experience shipping multiple titles
- Portfolio of work demonstrating strong proficiency as an Environment Artist
- 6+ years professional experience developing high quality titles
- Strong sense of level design, scale, and gameplay flow
- Passion for playing and creating games
- Self-driven with strong communication skills
- Proven experience mentoring and teaching other artists
- Proven experience tackling challenges and problem solve with a strong sense of ownership
- Proven experience working closely with many other disciplines and be a team player
- Master level understanding of lighting, composition, and set dressing
- Skilled in creating and understanding PBR materials
- Advanced understanding of Maya/Max, Photoshop, ZBrush
- Advanced understanding of current game art pipelines and methodologies
Would Love to See
- Experience with Substance, Topogun, SpeedTree, or other additional 3D tools
- Experience with multiplayer games and/or shooters
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- No requirement.
Health and Wellness
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Business Travel Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Long Term Disability
- Employee Referral Program
- Education Reimbursement
- Fitness Club Discounts
- Training and Development
- Commuter Incentives and Hybrid Vehicle Purchase/Lease Program
- Merchandise Discounts
About our Location
Cold Iron is a team of passionate game developers located in San Jose, California. We’re a diverse group of veterans with decades of experience developing and launching award-winning MMO and action titles on PC and console.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.